Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Golden moments as broadcaster on Vijayawada Radio


The Government owned -All India Radio [Akasavani],Vijayawada,Andhra Pradesh, India has been organising several events to mark its diamond jubilee celebrations. This station was officially inaugurated on December 1, 1948. I was associated with this station and its staff for over a decade [1974 to 1985] as a part-time broadcaster known as Casual Artiste. I am delighted to know through Newspapers and TV that recently a get together ‘Vajrotsava Sambaram’ was arranged and provided a rare opportunity for several past and current broadcasters of All India Radio, Vijayawada station to meet each other and collectively go down the memory lane. Though I missed this occassion, I recollect my fond memories and sweet experiences during my stint in the All India Radio:
  1. The first broadcast assignment was a feature on Diwali celebrations and customes followed by various states in India. This feature with prerecorded interviews with residents of telugu speaking youth from various states linking my commentary was produced for about 20 minitues Yuvavani -the youth programme well received by the listeners.
  2. With my development of voice modulation and compering skills within one year, I could make myself fit as a full fledged Casual Artiste to render pre-recorded and live programmes in 25 minutes Yuvavani broadcast at 6-25pm daily. This listinging rate was high due to its content and time.
  3. My job was to attend two hours prior to the schedule broadcast,under the guidance of the Programme Executive scribble announcements in telugu, prepare the participants / artistes for either recording or live performance, collect from Library signature tune [every programme on AIR should be commenced and ended with a designated recorded instrumental music over which main Announcement of programme goes], spool tapes, film tune Gramophone 78RPM / 45 RPM /33.5 RPM records and music fillers. Spend in rehearsal room [also called recording room] about 20 minutes with preparations of my own performance alongwith live performance artistes and move over to the main studio for live take-off. I was also assigned Women, Children, News, Workmen, Music and Agricultural Sections of AIR to conduct interview emenint persons, create features, attend Outdoor Broadcast recording, reading employment news, short stories, reading letters from listeners, participating in dramas, editing and voice over dubbing works. My favourite assignments were news reading and announcements which I used to emulate Late Shri Tirumalsetty Sreeramulu, Shri Kalakrishna, Shri Malladi Suribabu, Shri Maadugula Ramakrishna etc.,
  4. My fond memories include:
  • Conversation recorded with Dr.Jayaprakash Narain IAS [presently Lok Satta convenor] who was in final year of MBBS during 1977 in Guntur Medical College when I was assigned to cover Medical & health exhibition.
  • While creating feature on young NCC cadets learning skills of gliding at Vijayawada-Gannavaram Airport was a thrilling experience.I accompanied the Instructor of the Glider [ a motorless two seater aircraft ] which was flying over the city for about one hour for recording actual instructions and safely returned to land.
  • My friends, family members, fans and admirers who visited to witness my live performance in the studio particularly during Krishna Pushkarams celebrated once in 12 years, [ What is Kumbhmela to Allahabad, Krishna Pushkaram is to Vijayawada]
  • Planning, commitment for quality and time consciousness were given priority for adjudging any broadcaster like me. I was adjudged as A1 Grade Casual Artiste both in terms of audition test and routine gradation given by the Duty officer [who listen Radio and report for review]. Punctuality is given top priority as the studio clocks were to be adjusted / matched with Greenwich mean time twice in a day. This was essential as the Vijayawada Radio need to relay News / National programmes from Hyderabad or New Delhi.
  • Hundreds of post cards received by AIR containing the views & accolades of listeners from several parts of state about my performance made me feel like a Celebrity on many occassions.
  • Many a time my photographs taken on my broadcast assignments were published in AIR monthly official magazine VANI as seen in this blog - Eminent writer was interviewed by me [right].
I am grateful to Vijayawada Radio, for whatever I am now.

3 comments:

  1. Your involment and contribution to various programmes in Yuvavani, AIR Vijayawada in late 1980's were highly commandable. You were like a celebrity in those days, I remember. I still remember one of your programmes in Yuvavani on a Diwali day in 1978 or 1979 when I stopped celebrating Diwali until the Yuvani programme was over. This spells the eagerness of your fans to listen to your programmes in those days when there was no TV at all. To add again, your picture in Vani is excellent.
    Regards,
    S S Murthy
    murtyfca@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting story as for me. It would be great to read a bit more concerning this topic. The only thing that blog misses is a photo of some device.

    ReplyDelete
  3. namaskaram ssv garu orginal hindi hanuman chalisa air paadina record kavali naaku source chappa galara.

    ReplyDelete

Enter Your Feedback or Impressions on this Blog