Friday, March 19, 2010

The Power Of Communication

12 Essentials To Improve Communication Skills  was the subject during an all day training session I was taking  as part of the newly introduced Management Skills Orientation Programme -a Training Programme conducted by the Hyderabad Chapter of Company Secretaries for the final passed students of Company Secretaryship course. This was my 48th batch of training on same on the same topic since 1991, the only change was the duration of  the session extended to full day from the erstwhile half-day session. To make it more effective, I have restructured the modules with a refinement and enhanced add ons like exercises and games.  After completion of the session, few participants approached me to get their performance evaluated and doubts clarified. Though I have guided them with some techniques, the following inputs help these 50+ participants to hone their communication skills:
  1. Good communication skills have a significant impact on your career. Your ability to speak well will make you popular. You will be able to impress your higher ups with your confidence, initiative and creative ideas. Isn’t it a great way to propel your career to dizzy heights with better communication skills?
  2. Though some people have an innate ability to speak well, it is always possible to develop communication skills with a bit of hard work. Preparation and practice are best ways to overcome nervousness.
  3. To succeed in your career you must present yourself with confidence. Your messages should have both content and style that makes a good impression on the listeners. Only practice and more practice can help you develop these qualities. So make it a point to devote enough time to master communication skills.
  4. Be prepared to go that extra mile - Attend seminars, interactive sessions and discussions to improve your communication skills. You can also take advantage of training programms organized by professional bodies.
  5. Good communication skills have to go hand-in-hand with talent, ability and knowledge. Let others know your talent with your better communication.
In all, this session was well received as indicated in the written feedback given by the attendees.Here are the thoughts and impressions by few participants in their written feedback:
  • What I have liked best in this session was the opportunity given to everyone to speak. "Flight In Bhopal" was my topic when I was invited to speak. - Ms.Tulsi Agrawal, Hyderabad.
  • My memorable experience was when I received feedback from the Faculty on my trail speech about my happiest day when my sistercleared her MA (Sanskrit) Exam. - Mr. Anandteerth.V Hippasayi, Hyderabad.
  • I rate this session as Excellent. I didn't feel tired -Mr. Avinash Kumar Singh, Hyderabad.
  • Oh! He is Awesome! My memorable experience was when I was called on to the stage to speak. - Ms. Padma Agarwal, Secunderabad.
  • Super session !!!. I would like to have the previlage of attending such session again in future. -Mr.Rahul Jain, Hyderabad.
  • Illustrating and clarifying the points was excellent. I learnt the way to deliver the speech. -Mr. Bimal Prasad Patnaik, Puri, Orissa State.
  • Interaction with participants was the best I lkied. -Mr. Rabindra Kumar, Visakhapatnam.
  • More time must be allotted to the participants' speech. My memorable moment in the session was the Faculty sample speech. -Mr. Satyabrata Padhi, Cuttack.
  • I suggest the Faculty to extend this session to two days. I liked the maintenance of friendly and helpful approach by the Faculty. - Mr Rammohan D, Hyderabad.
  • Making every participant to speak from the dias and waiting for my turn to come so that I can speak were my memorable experiences. More practical examples were required. Ms. Yogita, Hyderabad.
  • The session was very much beneficial. I felt that one more sesion is necessary for improvement of skills, Mr. Nagabhushanam, Lecturer in Law, Bhimavaram
  • I learnt techniques of communication. The Faculty was really excellent. - Mr. Lucky A Popli, Nagpur

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations to the following winners of Public Speaking competition conducted during the session on 19th March, 2010:
    Best Speaker: Mr. Rahul Jain [ Sl.No. 24]
    Better Speaker: Ms. Tulsi Agrawal [Sl.No.23]
    Good Speaker: Mr. Bimal Prasad Pattanaik (Sl No.44)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Mr.Suryanarayana,

    Good to read your note as well as the feedback from the participants. I am sure it is very heartening to read those comments. It must be very gratifying.

    Though the title said "Power of Communication", it appeared to me that it was more like "Presentation Skills". I know presentation is a part of communication. However being a good communicator requires much more. I hope somebody is taking care of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Suryanarayana Sir

    I am grateful to you for giving me the opportunity to speak on my happiest moment during the Public Speaking Competition at the 1st MSOP conducted by ICSI Hyderabad Chapter, for which i was awarded as the "Best Speaker". It was during this session at the MSOP wherein i could really implement all the practical tips given by you, for the effective communication. Thanks a lot Sir.
    Rahul Jain

    ReplyDelete

Enter Your Feedback or Impressions on this Blog